Friday, October 21, 2011

Tenampa - Croton-on-the-Hudson, NY

Buenos Dias, Munching readers. Last night, I had a craving for Mexican and decided to check out Tenampa.

Cheers
My date and I walked into the restaurant around 8 and it was pretty much empty. There was one other couple sitting in the dining room when we were seated, and nobody came in while we were there, which I thought was pretty odd for a Thursday night. The first thing we checked out was the drink menu, and I'm not gonna lie, it had a very nice selection of mid-and-top-shelf tequilas.

We went with the standard - a margarita and some fresh guacamole to start with. This was the best part of the meal. The guac was freshly made at the table and my date gave two thumbs up to the margarita.

For the main course, I chose a combo meal that came with a taco, a chicken tamale and a cheese enchilada. She chose the California burrito, which was pretty much your standard chicken burrito with re-fried beans, cheese, salsa, etc.
Best part of the meal!

Our dishes were served within 10 minutes of ordering. While the service was speedy, I don't think our waitress said more than three words the entire meal.

I started by trying the taco first, and it was OK. The tamale and enchilada  were bland, dry and sub-par. I tried some of the California burrito, and it was good, but again, nothing spectacular. I've had many burritos from Chipotle that were much tastier and cheaper. I left most of my enchilada and tamale uneaten and went back to the guacamole until I was content.


When the waitress came back, she cleaned off the half-eaten plates without asking if we wanted anything wrapped up, and she scurried back to the kitchen and then to retrieve our check. Our check was around $60 without a tip, which isn't exactly cheap, considering the best part of the meal was the guacamole.

All-in-all, we probably could've had a better Mexican dinner with some pick-up from Taco Bell and making some guacamole at home. If you're looking for solid Mexican food, I'd have to advise you to pass on Tenampa. Lo siento.

My rating: 1.5 out of 5

No comments:

Post a Comment